Saturday, August 22, 2009

First-timer

So a few posts ago I mentioned that I entered photos in the Humboldt County Fair for the 1st time. I was excited, but knew to not get my hopes up. I figured there would be a tremendous amount of "much better" photos entered, and I didn't stand a chance in hell of placing 1st, 2nd or 3rd.
My mom and I anxiously (well maybe just me) entered the fairgrounds and headed straight for the photography room. (after a quick trip to the ladies room that is.....) I started looking for my photos, was surprised at the photos that were awarded ribbons. Some friends of mine on Facebook also mentioned they were puzzled by the judging criteria. I have to add that I was only paritally biased.. There were definitely some that were better than mine, and they did not place!
How does one find out about the criteria? Do they give "scorecards" to you when you pick up your photos? I did not walk away empty handed though.....Here is my 3rd place photo:

Not too shabby for a first-timer, right?

I can't wait to work on photos for next year....

4 comments:

Blasé said...

You've got a cute Blog going on!

I like those sweet pics down below.

Peace

Fred Mangels said...

What lake is in the picture?

Just a Small Town Girl said...

Fred, it's Fish Lake...up by Orleans. One of my favorite spots!

Fred Mangels said...

I figured it was somewhere up near Hoopa.