Friday, May 29, 2009

Fred...I am here again!


I can't wait for summer to finally get here. I am really anxious to go camping, even though it involves some work (to shop, pack, load up, etc). I dream of the days that we will have a camp trailer of some sort. I look forward to having the majority of the camping necessities always ready to go. Throw in my clothes, the perishable items and some firewood and we're ready to go!
I’m over the days of partying at Ruth Lake. Besides that, the last few times I was there it was windy and not very enjoyable. I don’t have a houseboat, so Trinity Lake is out of the question unless I go up there with my family.
My little piece of heaven is located in the 6 Rivers National Forest between Weitchpec and Orleans. With only about 20 campsites, this place has all the peace and quiet a woman in her mid 30’s can enjoy. I’m talking about Fish Lake. Overall the trip is about 2 hours from my house, so it is not too far out of the way. However, there is no electricity up there so you could consider this place semi “roughing it”. Most of the campsites are tent only. Running water (for showers, washing dishes, etc.) is available at the entrance to the campground. Better than porta-potty toilets are available in 4 locations.
Fish Lake does not allow motor-boats, so you could call it a do-it-yourself type of lake. It’s not the size of Ruth, Trinity, or Shasta, so it won’t take you all day to row to your favorite spot and back to camp!